Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Selection, The Elite, and The One Book Review




     Ok, The Selection, The Elite, and The One by Kiera Cass were really good books.  I highly enjoyed and recommend them.  I actually saw The Selection on a book recommendation website a while back but I was already in the middle of reading something else so I didn't get it at the time and then I forgot all about it!  Some time last week I was watching a YouTuber who does book reviews and she did a review on The Selection and that reminded me and made me want to read it!  I actually stopped the youtube review because she said that she was going to have spoilers and I wanted to read the book first.  So, I ran out to the library (we don't have ANY books stores around here so I have to order most books online and I wasn't willing to wait!) and I actually checked out The Selection, The Elite, and The One all at once because I knew I would read them all within a week.  So, I read The Selection and then finished watching her review.  I agreed with most of what she thought about it.
     For those who don't know what these books are about, they're kind of like YA dystopian versions of the Bachelor! Haha!  Basically, the world is divided into castes.  Ones are the Royal family and eights are the lowest of the low.  Two's and three's are pretty well off, four's are kind of comfortable, five's struggle, six's are pretty poor, seven's are even worse off, and like I said, eight's are basically homeless.  When the royal family has a child, and that child becomes old enough to marry, their girls (the princesses) are pretty much given to princes in other countries but the boys (the princes) are to stay in the family to become king some day.  What they do is send a letter to all the girls in all castes that are in the age group for them to register to perhaps be chosen to meet the prince and get to marry him some day.  Only 35 out of who knows how many girls are chosen to come and live in the castle to date the prince 'Bachelor style'.  The main character's name is America Singer and she is a five.  She doesn't really want to be a part of the selection because she is in love with a six named Aspen but she knows her family could really use the help (I forgot to mention that the families of the 35 girls that are chosen receive money up until the Prince, Maxon, eliminates them).  Well, once America meets and gets to know Prince Maxon she starts to question everything she ever thought she wanted!
     They are really good books.  Although, America is a bit frustrating at times.  She's very indecisive and that can get annoying, but I can't really say that I wouldn't be the same way if put in her situation!  The books are definitely not stand alone kind of books.  The Selection and The Elite end very open and it's clear that you need to read the next one.  All in all they were very good and I'm glad I read them!  I bought the series a few days later :)

Quotes that I liked from The Selection

"True love is usually the most inconvenient kind"
"It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you from being awesome."

Quotes that I liked from The Elite

"Love is beautiful fear"
"Sometimes I feel like we're a knot, too tangled to be taken apart"
"It wasn't like I made his world better.  It was like I was his world.  It wasn't some explosion; it wasn't fireworks. It was a fire, burning slowly from the inside out."

Quotes I liked from The One

"Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like.  It was only ever yours to break anyway."
"The best people all have some kind of scar"
"I'll love you until my very last breath.  Every beat of my heart is yours.  I don't want to die without you knowing that."

1 comment: