Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars Book Review



     I had gone back and forth about reading this for so long!  Not because I didn't think it would be good, John Green books are always amazing, but because I knew it would be so sad!  I finally talked myself into reading it and I'm so glad I did!  It was so good!  Sad, yes, but really well written!  I fell in love with the characters immediately.
     For those of you who may not know what this book is about, I'll tell you a little bit about it.  It's about a girl named Hazel who has terminal lung cancer.  She goes to a cancer kids support group, which she hates but her mom makes her go, and one day an attractive boy named Augustus (Gus) comes in.  He's been in remission for a while but he came to support his friend that attends.  Gus flirts with Hazel and wants to hang out but at first she tries to stay distant.  She feels that she is a "grenade" that will go off eventually and she doesn't want to have to hurt anyone else when she dies.  She ends up giving in and hanging out with Gus and, of course, she falls in love with him.  I won't spoil the book for you if you haven't read it by telling you how it ends...I'll just say that it is beautifully sad and absolutely wonderfully written.
     This book is spectacular because even though it is super sad it has awesome quirky, funny moments too!  The character's personalities are very original and witty.  It made me just want to know them or at least get to sit back and eavesdrop on an entire conversation between them!  Well, I guess I kind of did when I read the book!  Anyways, it was really, really good and I highly recommend it!  However, if you can't handle reading about sicknesses like cancer, like if you're a hypochondriac or something, or if you may personally know some people who have cancer (I do so it made it a little harder for me to read) you may have a difficult time reading it.  I heard some one say that they kept putting off reading this book for a while because they have extreme hypochondria and when they would read it they kind of put themselves in Hazel's position and felt sick.  But then they watched the trailer for the movie and it made them be able to put the movie character's faces in their mind when they were reading and it helped a lot.
     So, bottom line, I highly recommend reading this!  It is crazy good, super witty, funny at times yet really sad at others.  All in all it is definitely worth reading!

Some quotes from the book that I really loved

"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

" My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations"

"Grief does not change you, Hazel.  It reveals you."

"Maybe 'okay' will be our 'always'."

No comments:

Post a Comment