Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Time Bender by Debra Chapoton



Summary

Sixteen-year-old Selina can bend time, though she doesn’t realize it yet. She also has a rare disorder which makes it next to impossible to socialize and find what she wants most: a boyfriend. Of course, there’s always super-loyal family-friend Alex, who’s been by her side like a seizure alert dog every time she’s had an “incident.” He’d like very much to fill the position of boyfriend. 

When a couple of aliens arrive on Earth in search of a time-bender they awkwardly flirt their way through Selina’s defenses and try to convince her she’s their only hope to defeat their planet’s enemies, whose next target is Earth. Now Selina is avoiding the truth: she not only has fallen for one of the aliens, she also loves Alex. If she leaves Earth she’ll never see him again. If she doesn’t go, she dooms Earth.



My Thoughts

I read this book several days ago but needed time to really think about it before posting my review.  I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this book.  Was it entertaining? Yes.  Did it keep me reading and wanting to see what happens next? Yes.  So, why am I not completely sure how I feel about The Time Bender?  I'll explain.

As an adult, who has read TONS of books, I had a hard time with a few things.  I'll get to those in a minute.  If I had read this when I was about 13-14 I would have loved it and not really noticed the things that bothered me as an adult reader.  It really is an entertaining book!  I don't want anyone to think that I hated it.

Now, the things that I had issues with...
The first is that Selina had almost no problem letting a stranger into her house.  Even when he acted so super weird and his skin was an odd color for a human.  Although, I do believe the book stated that her skin was a bluish color as well.
Next, when Marcum basically told her that she had powers she didn't seem to react like a normal person would have.
And then when Alex's dad told him his secret (I don't want to give too much away) Alex was just pretty much like "Ok, cool, no big deal!"
Those things were just too unbelievable to me.  I do understand that most Scifi books are somewhat unbelievable but they're supposed to make you believe in them!

Anyways, like I said, as a young reader I probably wouldn't have noticed these things but as an adult I did.  It is a good book and I will recommend it to younger readers.  I wouldn't mind reading the others in the series when they become available.  

Thank you, Debra Chapoton for sending this book to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment