Saturday, January 16, 2016

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham


Goodreads Summary

A charming and laugh-out-loud novel by Lauren Graham, beloved star of Parenthood and Gilmore Girls, about an aspiring actress trying to make it in mid-ninties New York City.

Franny Banks is a struggling actress in New York City, with just six months left of the three year deadline she gave herself to succeed.  But so far, all she has to show for her efforts is a single line in an ad for ugly Christmas sweaters and a degrading waitressing job.  She lives in Brooklyn with two roommates - Jane, her best friend from college, and Dan, a sic-fi writer, who is very definitely not boyfriend material - and is struggling with her feelings for a suspiciously charming guy in her acting class, all while trying to find a hair-product cocktail that actually works.

Meanwhile, she dreams of doing "important" work, but only ever seems to get auditions for dishwashing liquid and peanut butter commercials.  It's hard to tell if she'll run out of time or money first, but either way, failure would mean facing the fact that she has absolutely no skills to make it in the real world.  Her father wants her to come home and teach, her agent won't call her back, and her classmate Penelope, who seems supportive, might just turn out to be her toughest competition yet.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is a funny and charming debut about finding yourself, finding love, and, most difficult of all, finding an acting job.

My Thoughts

I actually bought this book several months ago, put it on my bookshelf, and sort of forgot about it!  I would remember occasionally when I was already in the middle of another book and then forget again later!  I can't believe it took me this long to finally read it!

I have been a huge Lauren Graham fan since Gilmore Girls and was absolutely thrilled when I heard that she had written a novel!  To be perfectly honest, it made me a little nervous to read this for fear that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.  However, I really enjoyed it!

Someday, Someday, Maybe is a very charming, fun read.  It wasn't super predictable, which made it even better, in my opinion.  It didn't end "just perfectly" like some might prefer, in fact, it was left open ended.  I hope that means she might write a sequel!  I have heard that it's might happen but I haven't been able to confirm it.  I would certainly be happy if she does!

I certainly recommend reading Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham.  It's a good book and I'm pretty impressed with Lauren Graham's writing.  It just makes me a bigger fan that I was before!

No comments:

Post a Comment